When first beginning this CRTW class I was a bit nervous when our Professor said we had to read as well as write in this class. Then I have came to realize these books so far are really intriguing. I love the way the author Natalie Goldberg comes up with her titles for writing. "Baking a cake", "Obsessions", are tremendous titles for the way she creates writing, because writing is exactly that way.
In the book Writing Down the Bones I can really relate to what she is saying. When she is saying "...real details of the way things were and are, you hardly need anything else" I think that's very knowledge able. Many writers use their personal experience more than anything else. I even see that in my writing. I believe this to be true, because you already have so much knowledge from that experience and want to tell others, because just maybe they can relate to it as well.
When reading the chapter about "Obsessions" I seemed to find that a bit strange. When she said that " your main obsessions have power...". I didn't really understand what she meant by that. How could my obsessions have power in my writing, that just doesn't make sense. Then as I kept reading the piece she said "...they are what will come back to in your writing over and over again". Now, I can officially see what she means. I constantly, find myself writing about depression or when I was hit by a car. They are both something I attend to keep going back to in my writing. So, does that make them my obsession??
Finally, all of the previous chapters for me made me understand the "Baking a Cake" chapter. When I first write any kind of paper or poem, it makes "goop"; that's what usually happens when you mix all of the ingredients of a cake (Goldberg). Yet, I then re-write them to make them go together, for me that's like smoothing out all of the bumps or lumps in the mix. You put your heart and soul into it you want the finishing piece to come out perfect like a cake. I just thought this was a tremendous reference and really relates to everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment