In the book of poems called Blood Dazzler really intrigued me. I believe Patricia Smith is one of the best writers I've read. She makes you feel as if you are right there in the disasters. She makes you tremble for those who have experienced these horrendous things.
I really loved the way she had started this piece off. She started off with MartiGra because many people are familiar with that. She relates this to the hurricane because after the party its a disaster "Its shattered beads, stomped flowers, and vomit" and after the hurricane it was also a disaster.
I especially, like the Voodoo money poem. She makes you think of what is really in control. Money has a great control of us. Well after the hurricane she believes money cant save us "Money passes through hands...won't ever spend well". After the Katrina had hit New Orleans people were stealing televisions and dumb priceless things like she said "a shield against weather, you will know. It's too thin to hold tomorrow back". In other words the Voodoo poems tell us about things like how incentives control us not how we control them like we believe.
good, say more specifically.
ReplyDelete