12/2/10

Close to the knife

As I was reading this piece called "Close to the knife" I found it quiet intriguing. I like how they started off stating how in another sense he was nervous and didn't know how to respond "I'm sitting in his hospital room so high in the upper reaches of the building that when I walk the halls or sit in the room or wander to the waiting room to have a cigarette". These are all signs of nervousness. When you go to the hospital you never see others sit completely still. You see them pace and smoke like a chimney. So for me it brings suspense.  Also when you get nervous you look out the windows to see the scenery to take you mind off things he does too "the distant plains from this perspective they flatten out against one another into the distance".

I didn't quite understand when they did a part on whales. It didn't make sense to me at all. At the end of a paragraph to transition it to the whale part was "The iris was the size of the room...;it radicated across the heavy clouds with fifty thousand windows reflecting the blue of sky through it". As the whale piece stated" Whales can descend to a depth of five thousand feet where they can and must sustain a pressure of one hundred and forty tons on every square foot of their bodies" what does this mean? I don't understand what this has to do with this entire story.

In the middle of the story I liked how the author described the characteristics of his gay lover. When in the hospital bed he was very ill. When he said "he fell endlessly forward" I could see Peter falling without trying to grab a hod of something. I seen him keep going til he hit the floor. Also when stated "his arms spinning like windmills until on of us grab and guided him" got me thinking he was trying to balance himself out without any control, and he was lucky to have people there to help. When they went to go see the doctor at Penn Station his actions were over the top I believe. When the author stated "We had to go catch up with him" I didn't understand one why Anita would just let him walk away without following and two I believed that he wouldn't of walked toward them and back away again. He just needed sometime to cool down.

No comments:

Post a Comment