11/2/10

10/21 late response

While reading the book "To after that" was sort of frustrating to me. Renee Gladman the author was always jumping around some way some how. "Crossing the street was atrocious. Yet I would wake and write this novel and I would stay up late and write it. But I was not alone: there was a lover, who knew me." this made no sense. She jumped from one topic to another, without using a common transition.
            Many common stories use different types of writing. This to me was out of the ordinary. She used this book as a memory as she hadn't remembered many things. She couldn't keep track of when she even wrote the book until she found her "journal in 1998". How do you not remember some of the biggest accomplishments in your life? I didn't understand also, how she came up with these nicknames for her lovers nicknames. "Chubby and Frog" if I was called this I would be highly upset because you dont refer to people as these. You dont because they are insulting who wants to be called chubby or look like an amphibian.
             Apart though I did find a bit encouraging was when stated "It does not matter how you live." I love how she applied this to writing. Basically, she doesnt care how you use your time to write you just keep writing. You can write from everyday expeirences and so on I got this by when she stated: "we exist on city streets".

No comments:

Post a Comment